Followers


Honeymoon!
Powered by Blogger.

Engagement 12-12-2008

Wedding Day 12-12-2009

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Back Down Memory Lane

Back on April 3rd, my father-in-law preached at St. Luke AME Church in Gallatin, TN.  This Sunday was particularly special because the congregation was tearing down the parsonage to build a bigger church. My father-in-law was asked to speak because his family was the last family to live in said parsonage. His father pastored St. Luke for over 20 years, which is unheard of in the AME Church.   It was amazing to see the humble beginnings of such a great man.  Meet my father-in-law, Presiding Elder Rev.Ralph E. Johnson:

I know, TPS looks just LIKE his father!
My father-in-law is incredible.  He is such a Godly man.  And in everything he does, he keeps God first. He is a retired engineer for TVA, and is currently a math teacher for Sumner County Schools.  He received a dual degree in engineering from Fisk and Vanderbilt University.  He also is the presiding elder for the Louisville-Paducah District of the AME Church.  He also has many other accomplishments, but I can't remember them all in detail.  He is a DYNAMIC speaker, and my best friend thinks he sounds alot like James Earl Jones.  HA!

Anyway, my father-in-law's sermon was titled "Back Down Memory Lane".  And it was amazing!! He was able to incorporate lyrics from the   I truly enjoy hearing him preach, and I can't wait to share that with our future little ones.  He truly is a man of God, and a wonderful delieverer of His word. 

Anyway, after the service, the pastor, who is also a great family friend, took us over to view the parsonage.  It was so small, and I was in a lost for words.  I love history, and all that it encompasses.  I loved that I was able to witness for myself where my father-in-law and his family grew up.  Rev. Johnson began to tell us stories of his family. He told us where his father's chair sat, about the outdoor bathroom, and his bedroom that he shared with his younger brother.  It was just so amazing to walk down memory lane with him.  Here is a pic of my father-in-law in front of the house:


And while we talked with members of the church, my mother-in-law took this: 
Words cannot express how much I love this man.  He is awesome and comes from a great line of awesome people. I can't wait to be the mother of his children! :)

1 comment: