Followers


Honeymoon!
Powered by Blogger.

Engagement 12-12-2008

Wedding Day 12-12-2009

Friday, March 18, 2011

When did you fall in love with Hip Hop?

I know that Hip Hop isn't everyone's cup of tea. But rap and hip hop are different.  "So what's the difference between rap and hip hop?  It's simple.  It's like saying you love somebody and being in love with you somebody.  Rap is only a word!"  (quoted from the movie "Brown Sugar"). I feel that "true" hip hop is an art form.  Hip Hop is truly an insipiration to a variety of artists.  I have been a fan of Hip Hop since birth, and I fell in love at a young age. 

Cynthia the Great (my sweet mama) told me that I used to kick my little feet to the beats and bass of Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West", and that as I learned to talk, I would sing all the words to that song at the top of my little lungs.  As I learned to walk, I could do "Humpty Dumpty", and the MC Hammer.  My friends and I would have "dance-offs" at birthday parties to further express our love for the music of our generation.  In the words of my students....Hip Hop is the truth.

I remember watching my sister and her friends sing all the lyrics to Salt-n-Peppa, and wear side ponytails and acid washed jeans. I remember my Daddy wearing his adidas jogging suits to parties with Cynthia the Great who was wearing some 80s hip hop outfit of her own. I can recall my sister making "mix tapes" with her boombox, and listening to them in her cassestte player. Again...Hip Hop is the truth. Real, honest, and pure are words of Hip Hop. 

So to honor my love of hip hop and to celebrate the bestie's and another close friend's birthdays, we are going to this:



And I can't wait!  I am so excited to spend time with some of the greatest friends a girl could ask for, and celebrate Shelley and Crystal's birthday in the process!  We are all meeting up after school at Shae's house to head to Nashville to experience some of the best in Hip Hop.  Real Hip Hop. True Hip Hop.  Pure Hip Hop.  And believe you me, we will be singing at the top of our lungs, kicking our feet, and having a dance off in the stands during this awesome show! 

2 comments:

  1. Dude! I am SO friggin' jealous of you right now!

    When I need some extra inspiration to do some housework, I grab out my hip hop tracks and the beats of Run DMC and Salt-N-Pepa get mah booty shaking and like magic the floors get vacuumed and things get put away and I don't even realise cause I'm too busy singing way too loud :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cynthia the Great" that's awesome!

    Not sure when I fell in love with hip hop {I grew up on salsa}... but Brown Sugar was when I fell in love with Taye Diggs. Yummmmmy! ;)

    ReplyDelete